- Current Role
- Current Committee & Service Roles
- Past Roles
- Past Committee & Service Roles
- Awards & Grants
Digital Preservation Librarian, Scholars Portal, Ontario Council of University Libraries/University of Toronto.
- Oversee the Scholars Portal digital preservation program to fulfill OCUL’s mandate to preserve academic library collections, including the preservation of shared licensed content, research data and locally created and managed collections.
- Maintain and update the Scholars Portal Trustworthy Digital Repository documentation and certification.
- Manage the development and maintenance of the Permafrost hosted digital preservation service.
- Monitor developments in the field and provide recommendations to improve digital preservation policies, procedures and workflows.
- Conduct consultation and outreach with OCUL members and assist in developing member digital preservation capacity, training, and resources.
- Participate in review of e-resources licenses and consult on licensing-related preservation issues.
- Participate in committees, working groups and research initiatives to coordinate and share knowledge about digital preservation regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Teach workshops on digital preservation tools and techniques to various user communities.
- Supervise students in project support work and liaise with systems staff and librarians across the unit and library to meet goals and develop services.
Current Committee & Service Roles
- Ex Officio Director (2013-Present)
- Book Design Catalogue Project Manager (2017-Present)
- Editor, Off the Record (2015-Present)
- Member, Digital Access and Preservation Committee (2018-Present)
- Member, 2019 Conference Program Committee
- Representative, Canadian General Standards Board, Committee on Electronic Records and Image Management (2017-Present)
- Lead, Survey - Digital Preservation Working Group (2017-Present)
- Member, Canadian Web Archiving Coalition
- Peer Reviewer (By request)
Master of Archival Studies
Master of Library and Information Studies, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
2012 - 2015
Master of Arts in English, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
2010 - 2012
- Thesis: The Lyric West: Reading the Vancouver Poetry Society, 1916-1974
- Supervisor: Dr. Laura Moss
Bachelor of Arts in English (First Class Honours), Minor Canadian Studies, Mount Allison University, Sackville, NB.
2006 - 2010
- Thesis: Coming of Age: Canadian Children’s Literature and National Identities, 1900-1945
- Supervisor: Dr. Carrie MacMillan
Researcher, InterPARES Trust Project, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
June 2013 - December 2017
- I participated as a researcher on three research projects:
- Contract Terms for Cloud-Based Record Keeping Services (NA10)
- Standard of Practice for Trust in Protection of Authoritative Records in Government Archives (NA03)
- The Implications of Open Government, Open Data, and Big Data on the Management of Digital Records in an Online Environment (NA08)
- As part of research teams, I performed research tasks such as administering surveys and interviews, coding and analyzing resultsm and writing papers and giving presentations.
Records Analyst and Archivist, The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. Toronto, ON.
August 2015 - July 2016
- Managed and operated the day-to-day aspects of records management and archives program, including records scheduling, destruction, and archival appraisal and preservation.
- Drafted, deployed and communicated policies and procedures for e-mail records management and digital preservation.
- Completed and consulted on needs and systems analysis for digital information systems.
- Assisted clients with records and archives training and reference.
- Researched, wrote and designed a historical anniversary exhibit for the College.
Curator, Setting the Language: Dictionaries and Language Change, 1490 to Today, Rare Books and Special Collections, University of British Columbia Library, Vancouver BC.
April - May 2015
- Developed exhibition theme and selected materials to highlight UBC collections for visiting scholars.
- Collaborated with UBC First Nations Languages Program and the Musqueam Nation to inform exhibit approach and content.
- Researched, wrote and designed an extensive exhibition catalogue.
Student Intern, City of Toronto Archives, Toronto ON.
- Appraised, processed, and arranged and described the Kent Family fonds using the Rules for Archival Description standard and an in-house database.
- Re-housed paper records, photographs and artifacts for long-term preservation.
- Assisted members of the public with research and reference.
- See: “Grant Hurley and the Kent Family Records”
Curatorial and Informatics Assistant, Beaty Biodiversity Museum, University of British Columbia
May 2012 - December 2014
- Transformed flat database into relational structure and developed FileMaker solution, including scripts and SQL queries, for usability and access.
- Applied DarwinCore metadata schema to avian and mammal specimen data and published to a searchable multi-institutional online repository, VertNet.
- Developed new research database management protocol OMBIRDS to improve the preservation of biodiversity data.
Co-op Student, Records Management and Library, Teck Resources Ltd., Vancouver, BC.
May - August 2014
- Wrote a comprehensive manual of policies, procedures and guidelines for the Teck Corporate Archives.
- Conducted inventory of potential archival holdings and recommended archival disposition of corporate records.
- Assisted in archival and business reference for employees, directors and public researchers. Catalogued books for the Corporate Library using AACR2 standard and InMagic DB/Text ILS.
- See: “2014 UBC iSchool Co-op Student of the Year”
Special Collections Project Assistant, University of British Columbia Okanagan Library, Kelowna, BC.
January - April 2014
- Authored Special Collections policy to guide collection and provide focus for regional materials and teaching and learning collections.
- Assessed local materials and made purchasing and transfer recommendations.
- Liaised with faculty, students and regional partners to create partnerships, involve stakeholders, and determine materials needed for collection.
- See: “UBC Celebrates Opening of Special Collections Room”
Student Librarian, BGC Engineering, Vancouver, BC.
May - August 2013
- Planned, documented, implemented and tested a digital information management system using Microsoft SharePoint 2013 to support efficient enterprise-wide access for research.
- Created a metadata schema for the collection and assigned metadata.
- Collaborated with SharePoint business analysts and programmers, IT, users, and senior management in system development and training.
Past Committee & Service Roles
- Director Without Portfolio, Archives Association of Ontario (2015-2018)
- Blog Editor, BookTraces project, University of Virginia (2014-2016)
- ARMA Representative, ACA UBC Student Chapter (2014-2015)
- Treasurer, ACA UBC Student Chapter (2013)
- First Year Representative, ACA UBC Student Chapter (2012-2013)
- Conference Co-Chair, Endnotes Graduate Conference in English, University of British Columbia (2012)
- ACCUTE Representative, UBC Department of English Graduate Caucus (2011-2012)
- Vice President, Board of Directors, CHMA Community Radio (2009-2010)
- President, English Society, Mount Allison University (2009-2010)
- Editor, 7 Mondays, Mount Allison University (2008-2010)
City of Toronto Archives - Introduction to Digital Preservation: Key Concepts and Tools. September 11, 2018.
Archives Association of Ontario 2018 Conference Workshop - Introduction to Digital Preservation: Key Concepts and Tools. May 9, 2018.
Code4Lib Toronto meetup - “Tools for digital preservation,” March 28, 2018.
University of Toronto Inforum iSkills workshop - “Bring out yer SIPs: An introduction to digital preservation with Archivematica,” 9 February 2018.
York University Rotman School of Management, Asian Business and Management Program - Challenges to digital preservation and towards a collaborative digital preservation strategy for Shanghai Municipal Archives visiting delegation, October 26, 2017. With Jim Suderman.
Teaching Assistant, ENGL 110: Approaches to Literature. Faculty of Arts, University of British Columbia. Fall 2010, Winter 2011, Fall 2011, Winter 2012.
Course Intern, ENGL 1801: Introduction to Prose Fiction. Mount Allison University. Fall 2009.
Awards & Grants
2015 — Association of Canadian Archivists Gordon Dodds Prize
2015 — Arts Co-op Student of the Year
2014 — Student to Association of Canadian Archivists conference travel award
2013 — ARMA International Education Fund Rita Holt Scholarship
2013 — O’Brien Foundation Fellowship
2012 — CLA/ACB Dafoe Scholarship, Canadian Library Association
2010 — SSHRC Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship
2010 — Allison Watson Beveridge Prize, Mount Allison University
2009 — Crake Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, Mount Allison University